Helpful Hints For Pools
With the increased demand for pools, the demand for chlorine is at an all-time high. Getting back to basics will help maximize the effects of the chlorine you do use, and help keep you pool clear and sanitized. Here are some tips:
- Proper water balance, chlorine is more efficient when Alkalinity is between 80-120ppm and PH should be between 7.2 and 7.6.
- Regular brushing, this helps remove contaminates that cling to the pool surface and put them back into circulation so your filter can remove them.
- Keep filter clean, changing sand on a regular basis is important. We recommend changing your sand every 3 years under normal use (may need it more frequently under heavy use). The use of backwash filter cleaning mid-season is also recommended.
- Incorporating the routine use of an enzyme based product can help keep your filter cleaner. Enzymes are used to break down non-living organics in the water so there is less for your filter to pull out.
- Oxidize with Non-chlorine shock, like enzymes, non-chlorine shock helps with the oxidation of non-living contaminates allowing chlorine to work more effectively.
- Good circulation, traditionally pools should circulate 10-12 hours per day at a rate that will turn that water over at least twice in a 24 hour period.
- Proper flow. Making sure the returns are positioned correctly will help keep debris, algae or biofilm from growing. Brush any dead spots. Common areas to watch are light niche, behind drop-in steps, behind ladders, sharp corners, underneath ladder treads.